Il FANTACALCIO (fantasy football in English) is a game fantasport on football, consisting of organizing and managing virtual teams formed by real players, chosen from among those who play the game tournament which refers (eg Serie A, UEFA Champions League, World, European ). In Italy it is now a mass phenomenon, it is estimated that in Italy there are just over 6 million fantasy coaches (more than the 4 million who “play” football).
Fantasy football was invented by Riccardo Albini who, inspired by a US pastime based on baseball ( Fantasy Baseball , also known as Rotisserie from the name of the meeting place of the first players, La Rotisserie Francaise in New York ), published for the first time in Italy in 1990 through Edizioni Studio Vit. Alberto Rossetti and Diego Antonelli also contributed to the drafting of the definitive version of the regulation.
A big contribution to the popularity of the game was given by the collaboration with the newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport which, starting from the summer of 1994, hosted the game on its pages, providing the votes to calculate the scores of the fantasy teams. The initiative was a great editorial success: initially, it was assumed that about 10,000 participants would participate but, during the year, 70,000 subscribers were reached.
Fantasy football is very popular on the web in all its variants. In Italy, it is a registered trademark owned since 2017 by Quadronica Srl, owner of the Fantagazzetta platform.
Italian Fantasy Football
Officially there are three types of fantasy football: the one with a total votes or “free for all” ranking (where, since there is no calendar at the end of the season, the ranking will reflect the skill of the fantasy coaches and the strength of the fantasy teams), the one with the ranking points determined by head to head (where unpredictability is highest) and Formula 1-style competition.
- The aim is to lead a fantasy team, made up of real players of the teams of the Italian league, to conquer the Lega fantasy.
- The outcome of each match is based on the real performance of the 11 players who make up the fantasy team weekly.
- A league usually consists of a number of people varying between 4 and 10: although it is arithmetically possible to field up to 20 teams (as many as those in the Serie A championship), playing more than 10 people increases the risk for each player not to have a sufficient number of players available to field 11 starters unless the league allows any player to be used as a competitor, as long as they fall within the initial budget of fantasillioni established to create the fantasy team; this usually happens in leagues with many teams, for example in those written by newspapers.
- Each player acts both as president (at the auction he buys players) and as coach of his own fantasy team.
- The squad of each fantasy team is made up of regulation of 25 players, although in many variations a different number of players is allowed:
- 3 goalkeepers,
- 8 defenders,
- 8 midfielders,
- 6 forwards.
- The individual championship matches are played by a fantasy team made up of 11 owners divided into their respective roles based on the modules.
- Forms 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 4-5-1, 5-3-2, 5-4-1, 6-3-1 are officially admitted . Variations to the regulation also allow the use of sides such as 3-4-3, 3-5-2, and 3-6-1.
- The fantasy teams, in the head-to-head league, face each other in a series of matches whose outcome is determined by the sum of the votes assigned in the report card by the newspapers (mainly La Gazzetta dello Sport and to a lesser extent Corriere dello Sport and TuttoSport ) by newspapers online or fantasy football newsrooms such as SportMediaset, Sky and Fantagazzetta, or for some years now by proprietary algorithms that process the vote (commonly called “statistical”) in a parametric way based on match statistics. On the other hand, in the sum-of-votes fantasy football, all the votes and bonuses/malus of every single day are added to determine the ranking. The main statistical votes (taking into account the popularity of the respective platforms) currently on the market are Alvin482 developed by Fantagazzetta, the statistical vote by Gazzetta dello Sport for the Magic Leghe platform , the live statistical vote of FantaMaster, Fantaclub’s FantaMetric, and the objective rating of Fantacalcio-Online. To these basic values must be added the “bonus” and “malus” points due to different variables:
- +3 points for each goal scored
- +3 points for each penalty saved (goalkeeper)
- +2 points for each penalty scored
- +1 point for each assist made
- -0.5 points for each yellow card
- +1 undefeated goalkeeper
- -1 point for each goal conceded by the goalkeeper
- -1 point for each expulsion
- -2 points for each own goal
- -3 points for a missed penalty
- The conversion table of the scores obtained from the sum of votes and bonus/malus into goals is historically the following:
- Under 66 points: 0 goals
- From 66 to 71.5 points: 1 goal
- From 72 to 77.5 points: 2 goals
- 78 to 83.5 points: 3 goals
- 84 to 89.5 points: 4 goals
- From 90 to 95.5 points: 5 goals
- From 96 to 101.5 points: 6 goals
- And so on a goal every 6 points
However, over the years the Fantasy Football Federation has made changes to the table, bringing the threshold for the 3rd goal from 78 to 77 points in the 2002/2003 season and assigning the following goals every 4 points (4 goals with 81 points, 5 with 85 points, 6 with 89 points and so on).
- When a player in the starting line-up has not received a vote, the vote of the players on the bench takes over. In the event that no player among the owners or the substitutes receives a vote, the official reserve will take over, whose vote will always be considered to be a 4; this reserve can only be used once if several players do not play, the others will have no score and will be played in numerical inferiority. In the event that a fantasy manager has only substitute players after the match has started and has no owners in a certain role, the vote is counted to the substitute player.
- Should there be a postponement of one or more matches, the Official Fantasy Football Regulations provides for the stand-by of the match for the clashes, with the subsequent addition of bonus and penalty votes when the match resumes. In the event of a definitive suspension, the official 6 to the participants and 5.5 to the goalkeepers are attested. Some types of fantasy football, such as those of Repubblica and Facebook, instead provide for the 6 for everyone, including goalkeepers.
- The classification of the league championship is established by score, with the attribution of 3 points for the match won, 1 point for the match drawn and zero points for the match lost.
- The fantasy championship ends when all the matches scheduled in the calendar have been played. The team with the most points is declared “League Champion”.
- The formation must be communicated according to the regulations or by the start of the first match scheduled for the day or thirty minutes before that time. In the event that the formation is not inserted before the established deadline, the formation deployed on the previous day will become active, without any penalty.
The budget value is usually expressed in fictional currencies such as FantaMilioni , FantaEuro or MagicMilioni . It is up to the members of Fantalega to determine the budget available to each player (or fantapresidente): the quota, by regulation, is set at 260 FM (even if some leagues decide to provide 300 FM, 500 FM, sometimes even 1000) .
Transfers to other leagues
If a player were to go to play in a league other than Serie A, and he is part of some squad, the manager must sell the player who moved to another tournament at the purchase value, halved in the case of a transfer to a minor league. However, in each league, there may be discretion on the amount of the refund.
One or more players can be traded, sold or bought indefinitely or limitedly (depending on the rules established in your league) during the market, in exchange for fantamillioni, in the case of purchases or sales, or even for players in the case of exchanges with companions. of league (in this case with the possibility of including both players and balances in fantamillioni in the operation).
A maximum of 7 players must be present on the bench.
Participants can deliver the formations within the starting time of the first match of the championship day (in some cases the deadline is further advanced by a certain amount of minutes), in the event that the formation for the Italian fantasy football is not entered. depending on the choices of the single league or the formation of the previous day is used or the opponent is granted a table victory.
Read more on: https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantacalcio